Dickinson Captures First CC Title

Dickinson Captures First CC Title

Dickinson 1, Haverford 1 (OT) - Red Devils win on penalties, 3-2

BALTIMORE, Md. – The Dickinson College men's soccer team returned to the Centennial Conference final for the second time in three seasons. The Red Devils ralllied from an early 1-0 deficit to force overtime. The teams played to a shootout with the Devils claiming the championship with a 3-2 decision in penalty kicks. The Devils also earn the conference automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.


The 'Fords struck early, capitalizing on a Red Devil miscue as Colin Lubelczyk intercepted a pass and found David Robinson open on the right side of the penalty area. Robinson placed a strong shot in the upper left corner of the net to put Haverford on the board in the ninth minute.


Possession was balanced fairly evenly between the teams throughout the remainder of the half. Both defenses held, keeping the score 1-0 at halftime. Haverford tallied just three shots in the half while the Devils recorded seven.


The Devils had a strong chance midway through as sophomore Derek Kachadurian (Weston, Mass./Weston) served a cross to junior Shepherd Waldenberger (Madison, Va./Madison County). Waldenberger fired a shot, but it went just high of the cross bar.


Play became increasingly more physical as the game went on, however the results were similar to the first half. Both teams held quality possessions but were unable to put any goals on the board. The Devils finally broke through with a great play triggered by junior goaltender Cody Hickok (Redding, Conn./Joel Barlow).


Hickok sent a goal-kick to midfield that was redirected to Javier Mena (San Salvador, El Salvador/The American School), who fed a beautiful lead pass to Bryan Gilmartin (Branchburg, N.J./St. Joseph's). Gilmartin collected the ball and touched it in under the goalkeeper for the equalizer in the 75th minute.


The teams continued to battle through regulation, forcing overtime for the fourth time, and second straight year, in the history of the Centennial Conference. Nothing was resolved after the first overtime. The Devils had some great looks, but were unable to create any quality chances.


The same was true in the second overtime. Haverford had a great chance late but the shot went wide, sending the game to a shootout. Dickinson would convert their final three attempts while Hickok turned away the final shot for Haverford to give the Red Devils their first Centennial Conference title in program history. The Devils also earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Championship Tournament.


The Devils finished with a significant 22-9 advantage in shots, holding slim edge in corners, 5-3. The game officially ends in a 1-1 tie. The Devils stand at 10-4-5 on the year while Haverford finishes the season 11-6-2.