McDaniel (21-7) 3, Franklin & Marshall (23-7) 0
What: Centennial Conference (CC) Tournament Semifinal Volleyball Match
When: Saturday, Nov. 3
Where: Lancaster, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel used three straight service aces midway through the first set to take a lead en route to a sweep of Franklin & Marshall.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the Green Terror with 14 kills and 11 digs for her second double-double in as many tournament matches this season.
• Regan Gefroh (Fort Collins, Colo./Fort Collins) led the defense with 15 digs.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Md./Albemarle) chipped in 11 digs and three aces.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) added 16 assists and four aces.
FOR THE FOES
• Allison Franke led the Diplomat attack with 10 digs.
• Carly Ostrowski added 13 digs and two aces.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Franklin & Marshall took an early 9-6 lead in the opening set before the teams traded points. Three straight McDaniel points, including consecutive kills by Marlowe Embry and Makayla Patterson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) tied the set at 10-all. Trailing 13-11, a service error and three straight Taylor Bauman aces made it a 15-13 score for the fourth-seeded Green Terror. Kills by Isabel Paci (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) and Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) around a Gayle Edelstein ace stretched the advantage to 23-17 en route to a 25-20 victory.
• A Makayla Patterson kill and Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) ace staked McDaniel to a 4-1 lead in the second set. The Diplomats closed to within 7-6 before Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) and Isabel Paciknocked down kills to stretch the advantage back out to 10-6. The lead swelled to 24-18 on back-to-back Gayle Edelstein aces en route to the 25-20 win.
• Franklin & Marshall raced out to a 4-0 lead and grew the lead to 10-4. Trailing 16-14, an attack error and Marlowe Embry kill evened the set. After a ball handling error, Lauren Wells (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) knocked down a kill to spark a 5-0 run for a 21-17 advantage. A Makayla Patterson kill made it a 24-19 score before the Diplomats staved off match point three times. Embry knocked down a final kill for the match winner.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Regan Gefroh's 15 digs was a career best for the freshman.
• McDaniel is advancing to the championship match for the second time in the last four seasons.
• The Green Terror is 16-0 this season when winning the first two sets of a match.
It was Marlowe Embry's 10th double-double of the year.
McDaniel takes on second-seeded Johns Hopkins in the championship match on Sunday. Match time is 1 p.m.
• Score: Johns Hopkins – 3, Swarthmore – 0 (25-19, 25-11, 25-12)
• Records: Johns Hopkins (20-7) • Swarthmore (14-10)
• Location: Lancaster, PA • Mayser Gym
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins volleyball team defeated Swarthmore in straight-sets to advance to the Centennial Conference Final for the third consecutive season.
How it Happened
•The Garnet got out to a 5-1 lead in the opening set but a kill from Louisa Kishton ended the Swarthmore run and started a 4-0 JHU run to put the Blue Jays up 6-5.
• The two conference rivals remained close until a 5-0 Hopkins run, which featured three straight kills from Michelle Abt, gave JHU a 17-13 advantage.
• Hopkins scored three of the sets final five points as a kill from Lauren Anthony gave JHU the 25-19 set one victory.
•A 4-0 Blue Jay run doubled up the Garnet as Hopkins took a 6-3 lead and later in the set a 5-0 run put Hopkins up 11-4.
• Hopkins put together another run, this time outscoring the Garnet 6-0 as an ace from Morgan Wu capped the run and gave the Blue Jays a 25-11 victory in the set.
• The Blue Jays used a 3-1 run to go up 5-3, but the Garnet went on a 3-0 run to go up by one. JHU responded with a 3-0 run of its own to regain the lead at 8-6.
• A kill from Abt sparked a 4-0 Blue Jay run which extended their lead to 13-8.
• Johns Hopkins went on an 11-1 run to close the set as a kill by Micaelle Larrieux gave Hopkins the 25-12 win.
What it Means
• This is the third straight season the Blue Jays and Garnet have met in the conference tournament and Hopkins is 3-0 in those matches. Overall, JHU is now 4-0 against Swarthmore, and JHU has defeated the Garnet in straight sets on two occasions.
• JHU is now 5-3 as a #2 seed. The last time Hopkins was a two seed was 2012 and Hopkins went onto win the tournament, which was also hosted by Franklin & Marshall. Johns Hopkins defeated the Garnet 3-0 in the semifinals that year to advance to the finals where Hopkins swept the Diplomats to claim the title.
Inside the Box Score
• Eleni Panagopoulos led Hopkins with 12 kills while Bliss added 11.
• Esther Hong had a team-high 15 digs and Kishton finished 13.
• Nicole Hada finished with a match-high 34 assists.
• Hopkins will take on McDaniel at 1 pm at Franklin & Marshall for the Centennial Conference Title and an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
- The Blue Jays look to become the first back-to-back-to-back champion since Hop turned the trick in 2011-12-13.
- Hopkins is 5-3 in CC finals, while McDaniel is 1-1 with its title coming in 2015.
- The Jays are 23-19 all-time against the Green Terror, but McDaniel is 2-1 in the playoffs.
- Teams that win the first set in a tournament match are 61-13 overall and 12-2 in first-round matches.
- Johns Hopkins is the second team to win a match from a 0-2 deficit, winning the 2016 final vs. Swarthmore. Haverford was the first team to win a match from a 0-2 deficit, capturing the 2015 semifinal vs. Swarthmore.
- Only six teams have come back from a 1-2 deficit - Franklin & Marshall (1998 semi, 2010 semi), Gettysburg (2011 semi), Swarthmore (2010 semi), Haverford (2015 semi) and McDaniel (2017 first)